Friday, January 8, 2010

How do I adjust the carburetor on my brush saw?

My saw is spewing out blue smoke, more than it should anyhow. I use correct fuel/oil ratio, so I think it must the the carb settings. Which screw do I adjust and do I turn it left or right?How do I adjust the carburetor on my brush saw?
Turn both screws clockwise 1/8 turn. If you go hog-wild and turn them in a lot, it will burn-up your engine! Just remember the fuel is where the engine gets it's lubrication from too!How do I adjust the carburetor on my brush saw?
First off, what brand of oil are you using, and does it meet the specs for chainsaws and the like? Many people make the mistake of using oil made for snowmobiles and outboard motors and such which will not be of sufficient quality for the much faster revving saw engine, and they do not have the proper additive package needed to reduce the smoke. Now to the carb question- assuming you have the proper oil and proper mix, the carb should only be adjusted if there are idling or high speed problems. Depending on your specific model saw, there should be 3 screws on the side of the carb- for low speed adjustment, high speed adjustment and idle speed. First start the saw and slowly turn the low speed screw in a little then out a little taking note of the speed while you do this-it may take a few times to get it right but when the engine speed is the fastest low speed, you have it right. Now reset the idle speed so it is just below clutch engagement speed-you may need to tweak low speed screw again. Then with throttle wide open, adjust the high speed screw in then out to achieve highest speed obtainable, and that's about it for that, but to me it sounds like possibly your mix might be a little rich, especially if your saw is 20 or more years old and you are using the newer oil made for leaner mixtures, as the older saws need a mix of 20 or 30 to 1, and the newer oils work best at 40 or 50 to 1, even in older saws.
its not the carburetor its the oil you are using

No comments:

Post a Comment