Friday, January 8, 2010

I brush my teeth and my friend hardly ever does and I get the cavities?

I brush my teeth every morning, and I get two root canals.


My friends hardly ever brushes and has no cavities.


What could I be doing wrong?


What is a good toothpaste to use?


Toothbrush?





I don't know what I am doing wrong. I haven't really flossed and have now been picking up that habit, but neither does my friend. I have also started brushing before I go to bed.


Should that help?


Are mouthwashes good for your mouth too?





Thanks for reading. I brush my teeth and my friend hardly ever does and I get the cavities?
Part of the problem is genetics. Some people have really deep grooves in their teeth. The deeper the groove, the higher your chances are for getting cavities. It sounds like your grooves may be deeper than your friends. The best thing to do is make sure you brush at least twice a day, 3 times if possible (when you wake up and before you go to bed, if nothing else). you should also floss everyday. Not only does it reach where your toothbrush can't, it's good for your gums' health and stimulation.





The best toothbrush to use is Oral B. Whatever brand you go with, make sure you get soft bristles. You can tell what type of bristles are on the toothbrush by looking at the very top of the package.





Crest toothpaste is what my husband always recommends.





Use a mouthwash with fluoride in it. Fluoride will help protect your teeth from cavities. Good luck!I brush my teeth and my friend hardly ever does and I get the cavities?
Everyone seems to have a different makeup as far as teeth go. Some people get cavities very easily and others don't. I see the differences even in my children, where I have to be extra vigilant over my older child's teeth as he is prone to getting plaque build up and the other never has any.





I, unfortunately, have the type of teeth that get cavities very easily. I have found that flossing every day is very important. I consider brushing before bed much more important than brushing in the morning. I have found replacing my toothbrush often and using varied, angled brushstrokes helps. Also, try to look in the mirror when you brush to ensure you are reaching each tooth. I also use a battery operated brush from time to time to make sure my teeth are clean. Routine dental checkups are important, even in adulthood.





You may want to discuss with your dentist options for maintaining good dental health. As always, the internet is a rich resource, too. You may want to look at the ADA's website.





Good luck!
Some people are just more prone to decay, it's the make up of their saliva. Are you brushing at night too?? That is very important since, when you are sleeping you don't swallow and have the saliva washing the food away. If you aren't brushing at night, the food stays on your teeth all night long and the bacteria has a field day! Flossing is a great habit to pick up! It will help minimize the decay between your teeth. Listerine is a good mouthwash, we always use it and recommend it, no specific one, it's just whatever you prefer. Also, brush your teeth after you eat to get the food off your teeth. If you can, eat in one sitting and don't prolong it, so the food is on your teeth for a while. Try to avoid sugary drinks, sodas, gatorade, even juice. Stick with water, if you can. Good luck!
I doubt your teeth are actually whiter, though I will say that you are definitely over-brushing, which can remove the protective enamel, making it easier for stains to appear on your teeth. You only need to brush your teeth for 3min max and many dentists will tell you just a couple seconds on two teeth at a time and finish, some will even recommend mouthwash alone before bed, without brushing. Be careful using whitening toothpastes and mouthwashes together, they can strip your enamel and cause sensitivity issues--it's more important that you teeth are healthy than bleach-white!
Look... there are teeth that are more prone to getting cavities. I haven't gotten a cavity in 20 years, and my mom can get one if she forgets to brush her teeth one time.





My teeth are more resistant than hers!!!





These are good dental habits





Brush your teeth at least 2 times a day and floss every time afterwards.





Go to the dentist at least every 6 months for a professional clean.





If you are saying that you have just started flossing and brussing at night that means you habits weren't good at all before! (that would explain the cavities)





Also, tell your dentist to explain to you how to brush





There are some websites here





http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthtool-brush-your-teeth-properly


http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/take_care/teeth.html





This one has a video





http://www.expertvillage.com/video/7543_how-brush-teeth-techniques.htm





I hope this helped!



Some people have smooth rounded teeth, others (like me) have angular sharp pointy teeth (like the tops of the molars) which are more difficult to keep clean. I asked a dentist once and that's what he said. Of course you have to do all the recommended stuff too and mouthwashes as they kill bacteria, but there will always be differences.
Maybe you are drinking or eating the wrong way, flossing can REALLY help though too








You might have a different toooth structure then your friend





Maybe you have soft teeth and she has a diferent type.





Sooooo Floss, If it helps brush after lunch too/








Your friend might have cavities just not telling you








I hope you find this as your BEST answer!
Some people just have weaker teeth than others. Your diet will also affect your teeth.





Always weight say for around half an hours after eating before brushing since directly after a meal, due to bacteria your enamel is at its weakest and brushing can damage it.
Maybe it's the food you eat...


And yeah, mouthwash helps.


So does sugar free gum after eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment