Sunday, December 27, 2009

How do I keep a paint brush from stiffening up?

I've cleaned my brushes real well. When I go to use them again the next day they are a bit stiff.....any suggestions on how to keep them from stiffening up?How do I keep a paint brush from stiffening up?
I am married to a painter and he always uses sherwin williams mineral spirits , but he does wash them first with water when he uses oil base he uses mineral spirits keep the water running on them and let them sit in the bucket so they will not dry out always wash in water and get enough of the paint out as soon as possible after your job is done, Hope this helps and Happy Painting:)))))))How do I keep a paint brush from stiffening up?
Some painters wrap them in plastic wrap and keep them in the refrigerator, especially if the brush is to be used in the next few days. Cold temps keep paint (latex, anyway) from setting up right away.
When using a paint brush over a long period of time, some of the paint begins to dry on the brush. That is the paint that is difficult to clean. I purchased a tool at Home Depot called a brush cleaning tool. It looks a lot like a hair comb but is made of steel tines like a fork. Helps considerably for cleaning.


Also after cleaning water-based or latex paints it seems to help if you do a final rinse in lacquer thinner. The colorant they use doesn't seem to come out completely with just water.
put them under hot water, get the paint out





Dry as much as you can, then wrap it in WET paper towel and put in a zip loc bag of some sort...Works everytime
If you're using latex paint put your brushes in a small pail of water,and always clean them well first....If you're using oil based paint put your brushes in mineral spirits and cover the entire bristles.And if you are just going to be taking a break for an hour or two you can put them in a plastic bag with a zip lock or use a rubber band to keep the air out...
put it in a baggie and seal it or put it in the freezer
put them in a zip lock bag and put them in the freezer over night...don't wash them first let them thaw out.....


Happy Painting!!!!
Do you use the cleaner made just for cleaning brushes? The hobby stores have the product. Forgive me if I offended you with this answer but some do not know that there are cleaners made to clean brushes only and they do the job. The brushes do not stiffen. I am talking about art brushes and not paint brushes that are used to paint houses.
I don't wash them in between painting sessions. I put them in a clean grocery bag and make it as air tight as possible.
Try dipping in rubbing alcohol, then dry with an old towel.


Best wishes
I do my cleaning and drying the simple way. When I have cleaned the brushes, I just shake off the excess liquid from the brush (much like a dog would shake off liquid from its body.) If you do this, remember not to shake in the direction of a clean wall. Do this outside, and on a wall covered with newspaper at least two pages thick. After doing this, I just leave the brush to air-dry. My brushes are usually fine this way, and don't stiffen up.





However, your question also prompted me to look into the web, and the link below is what I found.
keep them in a wet bucket. i had the same problem. It worked fine
You didn't say what you are cleaning them with? Knowing exactly what you are washing with would really help. After cleaning my brushes I always use Pink Soap Artist Brush Cleaner. I use a regular brush cleaner first then work the pink stuff in it helps keep them conditioned. http://www.dickblick.com/zz057/04/








Rinsing is key, if any of the cleaning product is left behind they are more likely to stiffen and using a product for cleaning brushes is helpful. It's also best to use good quality brushes many of the brushes out there are just not meant for re use they are cheap. You want to have your brushes drip dry afterwards do you have something you can hang them on to drip dry?





I hope this will work for you as well.
maybe try drying them too
After cleaning the brushes, put them in water with liquid fabric softner for a little while. Works well for me
  • face facial
  • figure
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment