Sunday, December 27, 2009

How often do you have to brush a dogs teeth?

Ok, I might be getting a Norwich Terrier. I need some advice on how often to brush their teeth. We already found out what they need to eat and stuff like that, but we need to know about teeth. Thanks!How often do you have to brush a dogs teeth?
At least every other day. This is an article that I found that really helped me when I got started.





http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?鈥?/a>How often do you have to brush a dogs teeth?
To be effective, every day, or at the minimum every other day. If you don't do it that often, you will allow the sticky plaque on her teeth enough time to harden into tartar. You won't be able to remove tartar with a toothbrush once it forms.


Don't forget that dogs need special doggy paste that doesn't contain fluoride - you can get the right stuff from your Vet. Your Vet (or vet technician) can show you how to take care of your dog's teeth when you are in for his/her first exam.


Good luck, and good for you for considering dental care as part of your dog's daily care.
I've never brushed my dogs teeth.


If you do, DO NOT use human products or toothpaste and do NOT use baking soda. Only use dog toothpaste.





I only have my dogs teeth cleaned by the vet when they have very bad breath and I can see very noticable build up on their teeth ( maybe once in their lifetime do they need their teeth cleaned by the vet). I guess this could vary by breed.


My two large dogs have great teeth and are 8 years old.





My small dog (rat terrier) did need her teeth cleaned by the vet and a year later still has great teeth and breath.





Feed hard dog food instead of soft for good teeth.





Give him/her a rawhide chew bone as a treat on occasion to help clean his teeth.
It depends on the dog I think. A good cleaning needs to be dine by the vet every year or so. To cut down on how often they need it, you can give them treats that are designed to clean their teeth and gums. A good example of this is Bright Bites. They have a section on their site about dental care for dogs that should help you too!


http://www.brightbites.com/
Everyday, preferably. Notable professionals (I can find the link somewhere) recommend everyday brushing, and it can even add years to your animal's lives. Dental problems are one of the most hidden reasons for a decrease in the quality-of-life for both humans and animals.
Never? Raw meaty bones are the most natural toothbrush. Twice a week and your dog's teeth will be kept in top condition. No toothbrush can clean your dogs teeth like raw bones.
I usually brush about every other day. I found using a dog toothbrush was to difficult my little maltipoo's mouth so I found some tooth wipes at petsmart and they work really well.
It depends on wether they're an inddor or outdoor dog.Mines is an outdoor so my groomer said that he doesn't need to have his teeth brushed
i brush my Dobermans teeth 3 or 4 times a week. she is 5 years old and she still has very good, white teeth.
2 times a week
Every day

No comments:

Post a Comment