Wednesday, December 23, 2009

How often should I brush my German Shepard with a deshedding tool?

I have a bamboo deshedding tool, works great and is half the price of the furminator, but my shepard still sheds alot. How often should I use the deshedding tool on her? Every night? I don't want to strip her bald, but I want as much loose hair off her as possible.How often should I brush my German Shepard with a deshedding tool?
Heavy shedding is sometimes due to dry skin.





Your best bet is to take her to the groomers for a bath using an oatmeal or sensitive skin shampoo and a conditioner. THEN, ask the groomer to blow out the undercoat with the force dryer. You can use the Bamboo tool on her after that, maybe once or twice a week. The super moisturizing shampoo and conditioner will help decrease the shedding.





We humans get dry skin in the winter, too. Dogs are no different!





Be careful using the deshedding tools too much -- although they are very safe and effective, they are still essentially a ';blade'; and can cause irritation if used repeatedly over the same area.How often should I brush my German Shepard with a deshedding tool?
I deshed my GSD's at least twice a week and use an oatmeal shampoo once a month.... I also have started putting a little bacon drippings (oil) in their food which seems to help.... But my house is the king of hair!!!
I would brush your dog once a week to get out the loose hair. The hair wont come out unless it is loose.
It is unlikely you will ';strip her bald'; as German Shepards shed a lot. Brush her every day - even twice a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment