Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What is the best brush to use on my SHEDDING rabbit?

He sheds SO BAD I can hardly stand to hold him anymore! Which is really horrible because he's my baby and I love to hold him.


I'm using a regular pet brush on him, but it's doing a crappy job, and I don't think it gets deep down to what's really shedding.What is the best brush to use on my SHEDDING rabbit?
Also bear in mind that rabbits' skin is very, very sensitive, so you don't want anything that's going to scrape his skin while you brush him. Our indoor Netherland Dwarf has a chinchilla coat - his fur is very, very fine, and thick, so when he moults, there's a lot of fine hair floating everywhere! We find the very best thing is to sit him on the couch, and gently but firmly rub his entire body back and forth with our hands made damp with water - the loose fur will stick to your damp hands and come out of his coat very easily, and because it's sticking to your damp hands, it doesn't fly everywhere quite so much! And our bunn loves this - he considers that we're grooming him just as we should :-) Try massaging your bunn from head to tail with your hands damp - it works so well for our bunn.What is the best brush to use on my SHEDDING rabbit?
i take a lint brush to my rabbit lol Report Abuse

I generally use a slicker brush and a damp hand. They can and often do seem to shed mountains of fur, which gets into every place! Be gentle with the slicker brush as they can be quite pointy and if you press too hard it will hurt, but I have found these to be the most effective on a heavily shedding rabbit.
what kind of bunny do you have???





I have a rex, with the really thick fur and I actually use a dog brush on her. It's the kind with the deep metal spikes and gets right down to the skin. She loves it. It's like a bunny back scratcher and really picks up the loose fur. I empty the brush about two or three times while brushing her in one sitting. Like I said, it picks up the loose fur!





If you have an angora or a lionhead, which are known for their fur, you should look into a groomer that will deal with rabbits. They might be able to give your bunny a little trim and help with all the fur loss.





Sounds like he's going through a big molt, which is normal given the time of year and with spring coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment