Sunday, December 27, 2009

What is the best kind of brush to use on my cat?

She is a shorthair but she sheds a LOT. Like, everything in my house is covered in her hair.





I need a brush that is easy to clean, but will pick the hair up really well, not just move it down her back.What is the best kind of brush to use on my cat?
I got a Furminator grooming tool last week. I was amazed that I actually got more loose hair off my short haired cats than off my long haired ones. I love this thing.


http://www.furminator.com/ Hint: It's on sale at Amazon.com for about half price. Get the medium size instead of the cat size.





If you don't want to get a Furminator, try using a comb instead of a brush. The comb will get out more fur from the undercoat (where shedding happens) than a brush will.





I haven't used one but I've heard alot of people speak well of the Zoom Groom. It's cheaper and might be worth a try.


http://www.amazon.com/Kong-Cat-Zoom-Groo鈥?/a>What is the best kind of brush to use on my cat?
Safari makes a really good one with retractable pins. It has a button on the back that makes removing the hair from the brush super easy. http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/鈥?/a> I use one on my Exotic Shorthair's dense short coat and it's great at getting out all the loose hair. Plus my cat actually loves getting brushed with it.
We have a short hair tabby that sheds terribly if not brushed. We use a Furminator brush. Be careful not to use it with too much pressure or you'll strip their undercoat TOO much and it will result in thinning hair.





Regular ';cat'; brushes just didnt work for us.





Now he's silky smooth and hardly sheds at all. All it took was about three days of off and on brushing with the Furminator and he wasn't shedding anymore. Now we just brush him when he's laying around.





We use the same brush on our double coated shepherd mix. It pulls entire wads of undercoat off of her - which is GOOD in her case in the summer. But she's silky soft afterwards.





They sell them with small, medium or large brush sizes. We use the medium I believe on both the cats and dogs. They're a bit more expensive than regular brushes but I highly recommend them because they really do work!
mine doesnt have a brand but it works really well. lots of soft bristles, oval shape, bristles are about half a fingers length. soak it in soapy water overnight weekly and sun it - ready to use again :)
I also use and recommend the furminator. The way i see it is your going to spend a lot of money on cheaper brushes trying to find one that works, when you could just save the time and spend a little more on the furminator.

No comments:

Post a Comment