Sunday, December 27, 2009

What is the best type of brush for painting pewter miniatures?

Synthetic, natural sable, etc? Any specific brand names?What is the best type of brush for painting pewter miniatures?
I have only been painting for the last two or three years, and the learning curve has been steep at times.





When it comes to brushes, like any tool, use the best you can get. Winsor-Newton Series 7 sable brushes seem to be an industry standard. I have a few #2 Rounds and use them for just about everything. I have tried the P3 brushes, but I am only fond of the dry brushes at this point.





The new Citadel sable brushes are pretty nice, and relatively cheap compared to others. I picked up a few of the basic brushes and have expanded into the dry and fine detail brushes.





I think the sables hold their points and shape a lot better than anything synthetic.What is the best type of brush for painting pewter miniatures?
A very little one that does not shed.





Seriously, the type of brush has more to do with the type of paint you plan to use. Go to a real arts supplies store and ask a knowledgeable salesclerk about it. You may need to ask around until you find a knowledgeable one, but they should have at least one who knows paints and brushes.
If you have access to Citadel paints, try their brushes. I always had good luck with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment